Sunday, March 30, 2008

Favorite Plants for Sun/Shade Combo

Foxglove-I grow this biennial from seed. It needs enough light to grow it's stalk upright, but too much sun will cause it to wilt.
Alostromeria-This plant likes a lot of light, but not too much afternoon sun. It did well for me in a pot, this year I'm trying it in the ground.

Joseph's Coat-This is a short plant that spreads so well that I use it as ground cover in some areas. It is nothing special during the summer, but in the fall it begins to glow with stained glass colors.


Firespike-This blooms in October here and the hummingbirds and butterflies love it.


Beautyberry-I love this shrub and there are dozens on the property and I didn't plant any of them. The birds love it and reseed it everywhere. One day, on a bush outside my kitchen window, there were six birds of various varieties gorging themselves on it's ripe berries. The berries are preceeded by lovely lavender blossoms.

Coleus-prefers afternoon shade here.


No comments: