Friday, July 25, 2008

Gingers








If I had to choose a favorite plant, than it would be those of the Ginger family. I believe there are many varieties of these and I must have a dozen or so different ones. I don't know the Latin or common names of these, but think of them as regular (3-4 feet tall), or Peacock (low growing). I love them because they are not bothered by any pests, disease or fungus and they require no pruning or excessive fertilization. Gingers are easy to propagate (by division) and thrive in shade. Mostly I like them for their striking foliage-many shades of greens, blues, purples and silvers, and their understated and often hidden blooms. A garden area of shades of green, with a bit of color is much more restful to view than Disney World masses of color. Gingers work well with other shade plants and ground covers such as purple queen, wandering jew, aguga, and impatiens. Peacock Gingers make a great ground cover alone. The only downside to Gingers is that they are killed by frost and are a bit later to emerge in the spring. But the anticipation....
All of my Gingers were generously given to me by my friend and another plant lover, Linda Hart, of Hart's Nursery who sells these and other wonderful (mostly native) plants at the Gainesville Farmer's Market.






No comments: