Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Cooking Lima Beans

Lima, or Butter Beans, as they are sometimes known in the south, are one of the few veggies that thrive in the brutal heat and humidity of our summers. If I had to pick a favorite veggie, it would be this. I have been eating a bowl of these every day for the last three weeks. It took me awhile to figure out how to cook them just right. If you buy a box of frozen Lima's the instructions will tell you to cook them for 20 minutes with an added 1/4 cup of water. This makes a not so flavorful, mealy bean. I experimented with cooking my homegrown Lima's just barely covered with water and cooking them longer and they were much more tender, but still not as full of flavor as I'd prefer. So after some experimentation I've come up with the method of cooking the perfect Lima:
Add chicken broth (homemade is best, but store bought is OK) and water to cover. Plop in a couple of tablespoons of butter for added flavor, add a little pepper and salt/or garlic salt, cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 45 minutes to an hour. Remove the lid the last 10 minutes and let the water cook off and the beans will absorb all the broth and butter yumminess.
With many vegetables, I've found that cooking them in a skillet instead of a saucepan allows for more uniform distribution of heat and a more consistently cooked product.

No comments: