Friday, April 17, 2009

Herbs


For an avid gardener and cook, I don't grow a lot of herbs. In the past I've grown sage, rosemary, and oregano, but don't bother anymore as I don't use them in any of my dishes. I interplant basil with tomatoes because it is supposed to be a good companion plant, but don't use it often. Complex recipes, seasoned with multiple herbs have never appealed to me. I do use quite a bit of garlic, either fresh or as garlic salt.
The two herbs I use a lot of are parsley and chives. Parsley is great because it is so underwhelming. It just adds freshness and greenness. It is the perfect addition to chicken soup, or cooked carrots, or spaghetti sauce. Chives are ideal when you want onion flavor without the texture of onions. I snip them over baked salmon and deviled eggs, and into potato salad and white sauce that I toss new potatoes with.
I use parsley and chives so often that I have a pot of both just outside the front door, easily accessible in bare feet while cooking.
Both herbs like cool temps and wilt and die in the garden sun and heat. This pot gets afternoon shade and they hang in through the heat of summer.

1 comment:

Anne Braley said...

Hi! Luanne. I finished “Keeping Faith” yesterday, and was not sure about the way it ended. I kept thinking about it, trying to figure out what it meant, but I’m really at a loss. What do you think?

The only thing I could come up with was that Faith wanted to try to continue the attention she had been getting, made her mother believe she still saw “God”.

I’m still awaiting June 22 when my 25 White Rocks will be delivered. I’ll take pictures and share.

Thank goodness for all this rain!

My garden is doing well and am enjoying all the fresh produce.

I really enjoyed meeting you and wanted to thank you for being so welcoming to me in your home.

How are Rudy and the Girls?

Well, I’m at work so will finish up this message.

My home e-mail is abfl555@windstream.net if you want to e-mail me, but feel free to answer at this address also.

Take Care,

Anne Braley