Friday, June 12, 2009

Time Flies.....

I can't believe it has been six weeks since I last posted, but the garden, yard and other projects have kept me super busy. To sum it up: We've harvested and enjoyed bush beans, squash, lettuce, carrots, cukes, potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower. Two hundred sweet onions have been cured, cleaned and brought inside. We've eaten corn on the cob almost every day for a month. The tomatoes and peppers are coming in and I've been freezing cooked combos of tomatoes, peppers and onions to add to chili, pasta sauce, and tacos. I also made a batch of salsa last night. The corn and beans and cole crops are done so I've pulled those and planted heat-loving limas and peanuts. Our peaches disappeared (crows?), but we have a bumper crop of blueberries. Weeds are almost nil in my heavily mulched vegetable gardens and established lawn areas, but are popping up like crazy in newer lawn areas. I'm trying to pull these before they go to seed.

I've started a new poultry project, raising quail for meat. We have fifty-six 3 week old Coturnix quail in a grow out pen and seventy more eggs in the incubator due to hatch Sunday. (More on this later).

Life is good. Life is busy...Whew!

No comments: