Monday, March 23, 2009

Chicken Update

Here are the girls at just a bit over three weeks of age. (And I thought my tomato plants were growing fast!) Actually I think the third from the left chick is a roo. He's behind the rest in feathering out and his comb is redder and more developed. Although we purchased 6 pullets, this is only 90% guaranteed. I've read that chick sexing is highly specialized and takes years to learn. The hatcheries pay premium wages to their chicken "sexperts" but even so, it is not an exact science. I'm hoping this little guy will grow to be a hen protector and will not be as aggressive as some roosters I've known.

They are rapidly outgrowing their brooder, but as the weather has been so mild, we move them to a snake and hawk proof enclosure for much of the day.

They love to be outside. They can perch on the feeder and waterer, flap and fly a bit, and scratch in the dirt. Every time they are moved, they seem to have to re-establish their social hierarchy (pecking order). It's a riot to see them posture and stare down each other. They will face off and one will fly at another, like banty kung-fu fighters, but within minutes they settle down to more passive activities.

This stage-between chick and hen- is sometimes called the "ugly" phase. Although I will admit that they slightly resemble molting prehistoric velociraptors, to me they are adorable bright eyes and bushy tails.

No comments: