Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Chicks!!





We have 6 new additions to the farmstead. Are they not too cute! We raised chickens, turkeys, quail, ducks and hogs for a time in the late '70's-early '80's before deciding livestock plus gardening plus full-time jobs and a newborn was a bit much. We decided to keep the kid and get rid of the animals. Since then, I have missed the delicious eggs and the manure the most. So we've taken the plunge and acquired 6 pullets (baby hens) to raise for their eggs and their ability to turn table scraps and garden refuse into fertilizer. I had forgotten how entertaining they are. I call them the "Borg Collective" because when one decides to peck at the feeder or investigate a water drop on the side of the brooder, the others immediately pile over do do the same. Yesterday I came home to find their waterer on the ground, bedding wet, and can only imagine the group effort it took to push this thing over. (Luckily none appeared wet or cold). The most amusing thing is when they line up in a row and nod off standing up. In 10 seconds they go from feeding and running around to eyes closed and heads lowered into little chicken naps.

These are Buff Orpingtons. Chickens can be a bit high strung and as I did my research before buying I kept seeing this breed with these descriptive terms; docile, gentle, friendly, quiet, and affectionate. It sounds as though they are, in both coloring and disposition, the Golden Retriever of chickens.

We have them in a cardboard box in the mudroom under lights for now, as they must stay warm until they feather out. When I put them on the floor while I change their bedding they stay close by. If I cup my palms they try to all hop in, to stay warm and secure.

I guess I'm their momma!

1 comment:

Mary said...

That is a beautiful story about how this garden of Eden all began and all the many little blessings that you have added to your "family" since then. Thanks for sharing your joy with others!
xo Mary