Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Egg Song

The Chickens continue to amaze and delight me every day. As they began to lay, I noticed that they would sing a little song after laying an egg. I did a little research and discovered this is known as the "Egg Song". If I had to describe it it would be "bawk, bawk, bawk, bawk, BAAAAAWK", repeated over and over for 10 or 15 minutes. Adam caught this event with his camera, which I uploaded to UTube and can be seen Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2ak9laPQCM

This begins with the unseen hen in the nest box, but Rudy joins in and two hens in the run jubilantly proclaim to the world that an egg has been laid! This cracks me up as they prefer a quiet, secluded place to lay, (I assume to keep it safe from predators,) yet when the deed is done, they announce it to the world. Two things to listen for - Rudy's noise at the very end, and a sound like a baby crying in the background. I've come to find out that Rudy can make that noise and sing at the same time. How cool is that!

No comments: