Monday, August 24, 2009

New Babies

This cartoon was in the paper the morning after the babies hatched.

We have 13 new additions here. I ordered hatching eggs from breeders of quality chickens of several different breeds that I want to raise. I selected these breeds for appearance, temperament, and egg color. Although I didn't have a high hatch rate on these (common with shipped eggs), I am thrilled with the hatch overall. Besides the three Buff Orpingtons that are the offspring of our newly laying flock and the infamous Rudy, these are the 3 other breeds I'm working with:

Welsummers are the brown chipmunky looking chicks. They are a dutch breed, good foragers, and are beautiful adults. The rooster has the tradition greens and golds that one thinks of for roosters, and the rooster on the original Kellogg's Corn Flakes box was a Welsummer named "Cornelius". They lay a huge, very dark terracotta egg.

I wanted Ameracaunas for their blue eggs. These birds are originally from South America and are noted for their "beards and earmuffs". The nearly white chicks with the round heads are Wheaton/Blue Wheaton Ameracaunas. The adult hens have a light beige color and the roos have gorgeouse plumage. Both have slate blue legs. Looks like I have 4 Blue Wheatons and 1 Wheaton.
I love their personalities already. They tilt their little round heads up and watch us when the others in the brooder are more interested in food and water.

Lastly, the little gray/black chick was the only Blue Copper Maran chick to hatch of six eggs. The Marans, of which there are several different colors, are highly prized for their dark, almost chocolate colored, flavorful eggs. Top chefs seek Marans eggs. They are not prolific layers, but the birds and their eggs are stunning. I never thought I'd follow this fad, but got a great deal on a 6 each egg combo with the Ameracaunas. When a Marans is crossed with an Ameracauna, the resulting offspring lay a dark olive egg.

I may order more eggs after the next batch of quail is out of the bator. It looks like all four Welsummers are girls, and I might as well try to hatch a few more Marans.


Sleeping babies. Too cute... Helmets off!

No comments: