Sunday, August 2, 2009

Rudy and the Hawk

I just read that chickens have more than 35 different vocalizations (exceeding dogs and cats combined) and heard a new one just the other day. Rudy let out a sound much like a human scream and all the hens dove for cover. Me being the mere human that I am, had not noticed the hawk that must have started to swoop down behind my back but once alerted by my vigilant rooster, I spied it flying up over the roof of the house. It's intended victim may have been Phoebe as she stayed crouched and trembling under a bush for nearly a half hour, even though her sisters instantly rushed over to surround and comfort her. They were all a bit freaked out and clingy the rest of the evening. I sat on the porch swing with them until dusk. At one point I had a chicken sitting on each leg and one perched on my shoulder, and the rest huddled under the swing.

We have seen hawks from a distance before, and Rudy always warns us with a throaty growl. The sound he made with this possible attacker transmitted "immediate danger-hit the deck" and probably scared the bird away.

Although they are locked in the coop at night to keep them safe from nocturnal predators as they can't see in the dark, I know that there is a little risk in letting them out at all, even if I am outside with them. They are just so eager to get out in the yard and explore and scratch for bugs that I will continue to let them free range in the mornings and evenings. Part of the joy in raising chickens is to see them being as chickens were intended to live-which is not being confined to battery cages as egg producers.

I also have more faith than ever in their instincts to keep themselves safe and Rudy's abilities as flock protector.

No comments: